Citizenship and survivor annuity


Q. My husband will be retiring from the federal government under CSRS.

I, his wife, am a permanent alien resident. I have heard that because I am not a citizen, I would receive only 55 percent of the survivor annuity.

Is that true? Do I need to become a citizen before he retires?

A. No. You would receive 55 percent of his unreduced annuity if he were to die.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply