Early retirement


Q. I am older than age 50 with 20 years of federal service. I fall under FERS. If I’m offered an early-out and I accept and then turn around and take another federal position, what are the ramifications? If I’m given a Voluntary Separation Incentive Pay for leaving, I realize that I will have to pay that back before starting my job. Will I be able to collect that if I hold another federal job, or does that discontinue once I start the federal job?

A. Your annuity would stop and you’d just be a regular employee. You wouldn’t be able to retire again until you either met the standard age and service requirements to do so or were offered another Voluntary Early Retirement Authority.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply