Medical coverage


Q. My husband is a retired federal employee and has Blue Cross Standard through the federal government. If he dies before I do, can I keep the medical coverage? And should we consider going to the basic Blue Cross Blue Shield plan if we have Medicare Part B?

A. As long as he is enrolled in the self and family option and you are receiving a survivor annuity, you will be able to continue that coverage.

Whether you should change your FEHB coverage level if you have Medicare Part B is something you’ll have to figure out for yourselves. You can do that by comparing the benefits, coinsurances and deductibles.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply