Health insurance change


Q. I am a 69-year-old female FERS retiree, covered under parts A and B of Medicare and Blue Cross/Blue Shield basic for federal employees. I also have my spouse insured on this plan. My spouse is a military retiree, so we have Tricare for Life, and he also has parts A and B of Medicare.

I would like to change to the less expensive BC/BS health insurance, but I want to keep the doctors we currently have. Is there a possibility I would have greater out-of-pocket expense with the standard BC/BS? I would like to take the difference in premiums and subscribe to a dental plan.

A. To find out if you’ll be able to keep the doctors you now have, you’d need to check with Blue Cross/Blue Shield. While there is a possibility that you would have greater out-of-pocket expenses with the lower-cost option, the only way to find out is to check with your plan and learn how that option handles claims from members who are covered by Medicare parts A and B.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply