Deferred retirement


Q. When I was 50, I left government service with 13 years paid into CSRS and was told at 62 I would be eligible for CSRS retirement benefits.

I received a statement from OPM saying I can make a deposit to get credit for seven years of nondeduction service by paying into the retirement system. I am 60 now and will have 20 years of service after paying. Am I eligible to start receiving retirement pay now, or must I wait until I am 62?

A. Yes, you can make a deposit to get credit for those seven years. No, you can’t receive a deferred retirement at age 60. CSRS deferred retirement benefits begin at age 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply