VSIP and disability


Q. I have retired from the Postal Service in Jan. 31 on a Voluntary Early Retirement Authority with an incentive payment. I recently was awarded Social Security disability. I am 54 years old. Am I required to apply for federal disability? I understand the offset. Will I lose my voluntary separation incentive payments in May?

A. You don’t have to apply for disability retirement. However, the fact that you are  or would be eligible for disabiltiy retirement would bar you from receiving the VSIP.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply