Deferred annuity


Q. I am going to be 53 this year. I have 32 years of federal service and would like to take the deferred retirement option. My minimum retirement age is 56. I understand I will not be entitled to special retirement supplement. My spouse retired under CSRS, and she carries our Federal Employees Health Benefits plan.  When I reach my MRA, do I have to initiate the paperwork to start my FERS annuity?

A. Yes, you would be eligible for a deferred annuity at age 56. Several months before you reach that age, download a copy of Standard Form 2801, Application for Immediate Retirement, which you’ll find at, click on Forms. Fill it out and send it to OPM.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply