Mandatory retirement


Q. Since I am forced to retire this year from the Bureau of Prisons at age 57, do I have to fill out the retirement paperwork, or is it automatic in my case? When will I be notified that I can no longer report to work? Will it be from the Office of Personnel Management or my institution?

A. Yes, you have to fill out the paperwork. If you look at a copy of the Standard Form 3107, Application for Immediate Retirement, you’ll see why. Among other things, there are decisions on it that only you can make. Further, your agency personnel and finance offices need to review and certify your case before sending it to OPM. Finally, OPM won’t process your case and put you on the annuity roll without it.

It’s up to your agency to notify you that you will be separated. By law, that separation will occur no later than the last day of the month in which you turn 57.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply