Social Security without enough quarters


Q. I retired from the USPS on a regular retirement of 36 years of service 10 years ago. I have worked a few jobs since and was recently in a car wreck, and I am now disabled. I was working when I got disabled.

I am 65 and have not paid in enough to draw Social Security, but since I am now disabled and am like four quarters short of my required amount to draw Social Security, can I get Social Security disability along with my federal retirement?

A. No.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply