State taxes


Q. I retired Jan. 3 with 31 years of federal service. I just moved to North Carolina. Could you tell me if I have to pay state taxes for North Carolina?

A. In North Carolina, annuities aren’t taxed beginning with 1998 if you had five years of creditable government service as of Aug. 12, 1989.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply