Unused sick leave


Q. I’ve worked for the U.S. government as a Department of Defense Dependents Schools teacher for 40 years. I am under CSRS and have 230 days of accumulated sick leave. What would this be converted to should I elect to retire this year at age 65? Also can I, should I wish, work as a substitute teacher once retired, even should I be granted Voluntary Separation Incentive Pay?

A. Because unused sick leave is added to hours of actual service that weren’t included in the initial annuity computation, you’ll have to do the arithmetic. Go to www.opm.gov/retirement-services/publications-forms/csrsfers-handbook/c050.pdf and scroll to Section 50A2.1-3


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply