Annuity reduction?


Q. I can start drawing Social Security this year, but I am retired from the federal government under CSRS. I had eight years in the Marine Corps, which I got credit for at retirement, and I didn’t pay the deposit of 7 percent for those years. Will my government retirement check go down? I read that I am already being penalized 10 percent each year because I didn’t pay the deposit.

A. If you are eligible for a Social Security benefit at age 62, those eight years for which you didn’t make a deposit will be eliminated and your annuity recomputed downward.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply