Q. If I retire with 32 years at age 57 (minimum retirement age) and start receiving annuity payments at that time will I get a cost-of-living adjustment for the years from age 57 to 62 when I hit 62? Or do I merely start getting the COLA for the year I am 62 and each subsequent year?

If I defer annuity payments until age 62, would I get a COLA for the years from age 57 to 62?

A. You would only receive a COLA to your annuity when you are age 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply