Deferred retirement eligibility


Q. I have 26 years of federal service under FERS. I am 51 years old.  I would like to leave federal government.  Am I eligible to apply for a deferred retirement? If so, how is my penalty calculated?

A. Because you have at least 20 years of service, you could resign and apply for a deferred retirement at age 60. Your annuity would be calculated using the standard formula: 0.01 x your high-3 x your years and full months of service. Your high-3 would be determined by your highest three consecutive years of average salary on the day you left.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply