Special retirement supplement


Q. I work for Customs and Border Protection. I am 59 years and eight months old with 20 years and three months of service. If I retire ASAP, can I receive the special retirement supplement? Any information for early buyouts for us? It would make more sense to give us early buyouts and not furlough the front-line officers.

A. If you are a law enforcement officer, you can retire at any time. If you aren’t, you can only retire under the MRA+10 provision unless you are offered an early retirement opportunity by your agency. If one is offered, you’ll learn about it before we do. As for the special retirement supplement, you’d be eligible to receive it as a retired law enforcement officer or as someone who retires under the Voluntary Early Retirement Authority. If you retire under the MRA+10 provision, you won’t.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply