Divorce and retirement annuity


Q. I was divorced from a Postal Service worker in 2000 and he finally retired recently. Where do I go to get my portion of the annuity that was in the settlement?

A. You’ll have to call the Office of Personnel Management at 1-888-767-6738 or 1-724-794-2005 and talk to a benefits specialist.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


  1. Jessandra Stanley on

    I am the ex wife of a Usps employee married for 20 years two adult children we are divorced he has remarried and retired. I am requesting pension supplemental payment. The divorce was before his retirement and I would like to fill for pensions payment only.

    • Your entitlement to a former spouse annuity depends on 1) the terms of your divorce decree and 2) whether it was properly filed with the U.S. Office of Personnel Management. You’ll need to call them to find out where you stand. Give them a call at 1-888-767-6738.

    • I am in the same situation as you..have you had any luck with filing for this payment? Do you get a separate check or does you ex have to send it to you?
      Thanks for any info you have on this!!

Leave A Reply