Social Security reduction


Q. I am a 66-year-old federal retiree. My Social Security statement says my benefit at 66 is $1,004 per month, and I have less than 25 years of substantial earnings.

Because of my federal retirement, I know my benefit will be reduced, but by how much? Some Social Security information seems to say it will be reduced by about 50 percent; other information leads me to believe the maximum reduction is $362 per month.

A. Go to and use the benefits calculator provided by the Social Security Administration.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply