Age 62 or 61?


Q. I am FERS-covered and eligible to retire this year with 20 years but at age 61. Can I separate (or resign) first at age 61 this year and postpone the start of my annuity to 2014, when I am 62 to get the higher 1.1 annuity (instead of 1.0 at 61)?

A. No, you can’t. The only FERS retirees who are eligible to get the higher multiplier are those who retire on an immediate annuity at age 62 or later with at least 20 years of service.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply