Deferred annuity


Q. I am almost 62 years old and qualify for a CSRS deferred annuity, even though I left federal service 18 years ago. I have not been able to find anywhere (including the Office of Personnel Management website) how to apply for the deferred annuity. Do I initiate the action? If so, how? Do they initiate the action? If so, when? The only form I can find seems to indicate that OPM will initiate the action by sending me a letter and attached form, but they do not even have my current address, and I certainly do not have all the start and end dates for all of my federal positions (which the form requests). So what do I do?

A. Write OPM a letter telling them that you will soon be eligible for a deferred annuity. Be sure to include your full name, birth date, address, Social Security number, the name of the agency for which you worked and the approximate dates when you worked there. Send the letter to this address:

U.S. Office of Personnel Management

Retirement Services and Management Group

P.O. Box 45

Boyers, PA 16017-0045

Attn: Deferred Annuity


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply