Survivor benefit for FEHB coverage only


Q. I am a CSRS-covered employee nearing retirement. My spouse is a nonfederal employee and has been covered under my FEHB family plan for my entire career. I would like to elect a survivor benefit for an amount to cover her future FEHB premiums only. What amount of survivor benefit should I elect to cover her premiums, no more and no less?

A. First, a reminder. By law, you have to elect a full survivor annuity for your spouse unless he or she agrees to a lesser amount or none.

That agreement must be presented to OPM in a signed and notarized declaration of intent.

Assuming that you have such an agreement, it’s up to the two of you to decide how much is enough. You can start by looking at the self-only monthly premium for your current FEHB plan.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply