Deferred retirement


Q. I’m considering resigning from federal service because I’ve been unable to find a federal job at my husband’s new job location across the country. I have career status with 18 years of total federal service, six of which was bought back military time. I was born in 1959, so my minimum retirement age is 56; I’m 53 now. If I resign now with the intention of taking a deferred annuity when I reach 62, do I do anything in the process of separating that might affect my ability to return to the federal workforce? It’s my understanding that I don’t apply for the deferred retirement until I’m ready to receive it.

A. No, you don’t need to do anything when you separate. Based on your creditable service, you will receive a deferred retirement at age 62 if you don’t take a refund of your retirement contributions. To avoid delays, apply for the deferred annuity several months before your 62nd birthday.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply