Military buyback


Q. I retired from the Air Force in 2003 after 26+ years of active service. I am divorced and split the retirement 50/50 with my ex-wife. I’m a GS employee with 10 years under FERS. Can I buy back my time? If so, would it even be beneficial to do so?

A. No, you can’t, because at retirement you would have to waive your military retired pay, thus voiding your ex-wife’s legal entitlement to half of that pay.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply