About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


  1. Dave Brubeck on


    38 U.S. Code § 7406 – Residencies and internships

    (B) Notwithstanding subparagraph (A), any period of service of any such intern or resident in a Department facility furnishing hospital care or medical services shall be deemed creditable service for the purposes of section 8332 of title 5.

    5 U.S. Code § 8332 – Creditable service

    (4) service as a student-employee as defined by section 5351 of this title only if he later becomes subject to this subchapter;

    5 U.S. Code § 5351 – Definitions

    (2) “student-employee” means—
    (A) a student nurse, medical or dental intern, resident-in-training, student dietitian, student physical therapist, and student occupational therapist, assigned or attached to a hospital, clinic, or medical or dental laboratory operated by an agency;

  2. I was a summer employee with the Center for Military History in 1979 in Washington DC. I do not know how or if I can get credit for that service. I was GS-2, research assistant. How do I go about finding that info.

Leave A Reply