RIF and unemployment benefits


Q. My command is being abolished and moved to Texas. Since I am unable to find a position in the local commuting area, I will receive a reduction-in-force notice. I am retirement-eligible but want to keep working. Can I apply for state unemployment benefits, look for a job and still receive my retirement?

A. As a rule, if you are receiving an annuity, you wouldn’t be eligible for unemployment benefits. However, you’ll need to check with your state employment office to be sure.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply