Annuity calculation


Q. I need your help in calculating my future annual or monthly annuity. I’m 57, birth year 1955. I’m waiting until I’m 62 to ask for my monthly annuity.

I was hired in 1995 into the GS system. I left in 2008.

Would my high-3 be my GS salary? It was averaged out using 1 percent of my high-3 to $560.48 x 15 years creditable service = $8,407.20 annual annuity divided by 12 months, which would be $700.60 a month. Is this correct? Am I still eligible for this monthly annuity, even though I left federal service? I have not received any refund.

A. Because you had at least 10 years of service (but fewer than 20) and didn’t receive a refund of your retirement contributions, you’ll be eligible for a deferred annuity at age 62. The formula for computing that annuity is .01 x your highest three consecutive years of average basic pay (78 pay periods) x your years and full months of service. While I don’t do annuity computations, I have to mention that based on the years you were employed, you had 13 years of service, not 15.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. Recently I discovered my fathers SF 50 for resignation November 1955. He worked for the federal government from 1948 to 1955. He died in 1977 at the age of 57, having never returned to federal service. My mother now 94 years of age and never remarried does not remember my father drawing any retirement monies from the federal government. Is it possible after 63 years that my mother may be eligible for my fathers federal retirement?

    • To find out, you’ll need to call the Office of Personnel Management’s Retirement Information Office at 1-888-767-6738. Provide them with your father’s full name, date of birth, Social Security number and any data they need from his SF 50.

Leave A Reply