Outside employment and annuity reduction


Q. If a Bureau of Prisons retiree takes a job other than a federal job, will he lose any amount of his retirement while he works?

A. No, unless you are a FERS employee who is receiving the special retirement supplement. The SRS would be reduced if you exceeded the annual Social Security earnings limit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply