Social Security taxes?


Q. I have a government pension and will be retiring in the next couple of years. I understand that my pension will be subject to federal and state taxes. I also have 20-21 years full time under Social Security (an additional nine years part time under social Security but under the substantial earnings amount). My Social Security will only be approximately $6,000 per year. Would the Social Security be subject to federal and state taxes?

A. Whether your Social Security benefits are taxable depends on your total income and marital status. For more information, go to


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply