Credit for part-time service deposit


Q. From 1983 to 1985, I worked part time for the USDA. I was a student at the time, so when I graduated, I left for a job in the private sector, and my retirement deductions were paid back to me. I was later hired by the Department of the Army, where I have been ever since.

I recently made a service deposit for my USDA time. I served with USDA for 25 months, but the part-time hours add up to 15 months full-time equivalent. Will this add 15 months or 25 months to my FERS pension?

A. While you would get credit for the entire period of employment in determining your length of service, your annuity would be adjusted to account for your less than full-time period of service.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply