About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


  1. I took voluntary retirement from the post office in Sept. 2011. I just turned 56 years old. Will I get the supplemental income. and if so do you know approximately how much? Thank you

    • To estimate what your special retirement supplement will be, take the Social Security estimate provided to you my the Social Security Administration, multiply it by you total years of FER service, then divide the product by 40.

Leave A Reply