Special retirement supplement eligibility


Q. I am FERS began with the Postal Service in January 1985. I bought back 3½ years of Army service (honorable). I am past my minimum retirement age but confused about the 30 years of service. To qualify for the special retirement supplement, do my military years count?

A. The active duty for which you made a deposit will be included in determining your total years of service. Having reached your MRA and having 30 years of service would qualify you to retire; however, the special retirement supplement would be based solely on your actual civilian service.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply