Regretting VSIP


Q. I accepted a Voluntary Separation Incentive Pay of $25,000. My first day of retirement was March 1. The early retirement was a very rushed process. I now regret retiring and would like to go back to my original position. Is there any way this can be done?

A. Your biggest hurdle will be to get back your old job. That’s entirely up to your former employer. If they agree to rehire you, you would have to repay the $25,000 before you went back to work. On the day you went back to work, your annuity would be terminated and you would once more be a regular employee, one who wouldn’t be eligible to retire again until you met the age and service requirements.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply