About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


  1. I have worked as a Contract Specialist with VA since 2008. I have been paying into FERS. I am considering transferring into an Attorney position for a term position NTE 4 years. Will the term assignment count as creditable years of service if I retire immediately at the end of the 4th year of the term. I will have 16 years of service then.

    • Assuming that 1)retirement deductions are taken from your pay and 2)you have reached your minimum retirement age, you can retire under the MRA+10 provision. If you do that, your annuity will be reduced by 5 percent for every year (5/12ths of 1 percent per month) that you are under age 62. If you haven’t reached your MRA, your only option would be to resign and apply for a discontinued service annuity at age 62.

Leave A Reply