CSRS disability and military redeposit


Q. I’m a 55-year-old CSRS employee filing for disability retirement from the USPS. I have eight years military but have redeposited only half of what is required.

Will I be able to continue making deposits while OPM reviews my case? And if not, will I get my initial deposit back in a lump sum?

A. Yes, you can continue making deposit for your active duty service until your application is approved. However, if you don’t complete the deposit before that, you’ll receive a lump-sum refund of what you’ve already paid in.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply