Deferring Social Security


Q. If I retire at my minimum retirement age of 56 with 32 years of service, I would qualify for the special retirement supplement from age 56 to 62. When I turn 62 and the supplement ends, could I then decide to defer receiving Social Security until age 67 or 70, or am I committed to receiving the level of benefits I would get at age 62?

A. It’s up to you to decide whether to immediately begin receiving your Social Security benefit or defer its receipt until a later date. However, unless you continued to work and earn Social Security credits — which would jeopardize your special retirement supplement — postponing its receipt wouldn’t change the amount of that benefit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply