Excess contributions


Q. I will be retiring from federal employment soon. My service time exceeds 41 years and 11 months. I’m in CSRS. How are the retirement contributions beyond this service time handled?

A. The Office of Personnel Management will tell you the amount of your excess contributions and offer you the choice of receiving a refund of that money or using it to purchase additional annuity which isn’t subject to the 80 percent limit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply