Social Security


Q. I am a 66-year-old CSRS employee still working. Can I draw Social Security on my wife’s Social Security?  She is a 70-year-old retired FERS employee.

A. Yes, you can while you are still employed. However, when you retire, you’ll be receiving an annuity from CSRS, a retirement where you didn’t pay Social Security taxes. As a result, you’ll be subject to the government pension offset, which will reduce or eliminate that spousal benefit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply