Postal retirement


Q. I worked for the post office in Allenton, Mich., for about nine years. Whom do I contact about my retirement?

A. If you left your retirement contributions in the retirement fund when you left, you can apply for a deferred annuity at age 62. Several months before that date, complete a copy of OPM 1496 and send it to the address on the form. You can download a copy at, click on Forms.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply