Early retirement and pension


Q. In 2004, I resigned as a GS-0132 with 17 years of federal service. In 2009, I started drawing Social Security disability.

I am 57. I did not withdraw my retirement when I separated. Can I draw my FERS retirement early based on my Social Security disability, or will I have to wait until I am 62 to begin drawing it?

A. You’ll have to wait until you are 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


  1. I resigned from the VA in 2015 to pursue a new career in a private sector, now unemployed…
    Being born with profound hearing loss- both ears, i just found out i should qualify for SSDI. If approved, can i apply for FERS disability? Im 53 with 28yrs federal service.

Leave A Reply