Military buyback and service computation date


Q. I am a former civil servant with six years’ civil service who bought back military service. My service computation date for leave is September 1993. Is there a different SCD for retirement? Also: If I return to civil service, can I buy back military service completed since my previous civil service and military buyback? If so, would this also adjust my SCD further? (I am an Air Force reservist who has had several activated tours, including a recent six-month deployment.)

A. Since you made a deposit to get credit for your active-duty service, your SCD for leave and retirement would have been the same when you left government. If you return to work for the government, you could make a deposit for any subsequent periods of active-duty service. Your new SCD would be based on your total actual and bought back service.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply