Disability retirement and FERS annuity


Q. I retired on disability in June 2011 because of multiple health issues. Is the annuity I receive now from my FERS contributions (made since 1991)? I never applied for FERS contributions.

A. Your FERS disability annuity is paid out of the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund, the place where your retirement contributions — and those of every other CSRS or FERS employee — went when they were deducted from your pay. Note: You could only have asked for a refund of your retirement contributions if you left government before you were eligible to retire.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply