CSRS Offset


Q. I am 66 and still working and covered under CSRS offset. I have 30 years of substantial Social Security qualification. Twenty of those years with the federal government. Trying to decide if I take Social Security now rather than at age 69, when expect to retire. If I take it now, will my Social Security deduction off of CSRS be taken at the current rate (66) or will it be at the rate when I retire (69)?

A. The offset will be based on the amount of Social Security benefit you earned while a CSRS Offset employee on the date you retire.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply