Retirement and FEHB coverage


Q. I am a federal worker with 30 years of service. During the entire time, except for two years, I have had Tricare insurance. When I retire, must I have had federal insurance to qualify for insurance from the federal government. If yes, for how long before retirement?

A. You must be enrolled in the Federal Employees Health Benefits program when you retire to carry that coverage into retirement. And the combination of Tricare and FEHB enrollment must have been the five consecutive years before you retire.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply