Pension after four years of Post Office work


Q. I worked for the U.S. Post Office for around two years in the late 1960s, enlisted in the Air Force and served for four years, and returned to work at the Post Office for around two years in the early 1970s after being honorably discharged. Am I entitled to a pension or benefit? If so, how do I apply for them?

A. No. Because you had fewer than five years of full-time service, you aren’t entitled to any benefit. However, if you didn’t ask for a refund of your retirement contributions when you left, you are entitled to one now.

To apply for it, go to and download a copy of Standard Form 2802, Application for Refund of Retirement Contributions.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply