Volunteer for RIF?


Q. I have 26 years of service (FERS) and am 51 years old in the Defense Department. I am told that a reduction in force is coming. I understand that if I am RIF’ed, it is the same result as a Voluntary Early Retirement Authority without the Voluntary Separation Incentive Pay. Since my organization is not offering VERA/VSIP, can I volunteer to take the RIF?

A. If your agency is conducting a reduction in force, you can volunteer. However, it’s up to your agency to decide whether to approve your request. It can only do so if your leaving meets the agency’s goals, as spelled out in its RIF plan.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply