Military buyback


Q. I am 57 years old and qualify for FERS retirement benefits. I have 18 years of service and considering retiring this year. I have four years of service as a rural carrier associate from 1990 to 1994. Do these years qualify for buyback? How do I find out how to purchase these years of service and how much it would cost to repurchase these years? I also have six years in the National Guard (1974-1980).

A. To the best of my knowledge, employment as a rural carrier associate isn’t considered creditable service for retirement. On the other hand, active duty time in the National Guard is considered creditable service if you make a deposit for that time, plus accrued interest.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply