Deferred annuity


Q. I am 48 years old with 18 years as a letter carrier. I have completed my master’s degree and am looking for work in a new field. Can I resign/retire before my minimum retirement age of 56 and still collect some kind of annuity? I am under FERS.

A. Yes. You could resign and apply for a deferred annuity at age 62. Your annuity would be computed using this formula: .01 x your highest three consecutive years of average basic pay x your years and full months of service.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply