Military buyback


Q. I served on active duty for 14 years, 10 months and 24 days. I was permanently retired with service-connected disabilities. I have since been a federal civilian for two years. Based on my service computation date, I was awarded a 10-year pin for federal service due to my nonparticipation in the military buyback program. How will this affect me under FERS for retirement from civil service?

A. While you were given credit for your active-duty service in determining your leave accumulations rate, you won’t get any retirement credit for that time unless you make a deposit to the civilian retirement system.

Your personnel office can tell you how to determine your military basic pay and compute the amount you would owe. If you don’t make a deposit, your retirement will be based solely on your actual civilian service.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply