Applying for Social Security


Q. I resigned from U.S. Customs and Border Patrol in 2005 and received my payout. I am applying for Social Security and, due to the Windfall Act of 1983, I must submit a letter to the Social Security Administration stating that I am not receiving a monthly benefit. Who do I write to or perhaps call in the Office of Personnel Management or the National Finance Center?

A. I’m not aware that you need to contact anybody. All you need to do is provide SSA with a letter saying that you aren’t receiving a benefit. They can check with OPM if they need to.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply