VSIP and re-employment


Q. I have recently retired under the Voluntary Separation Incentive Pay program. I know that if I accept a job with a government agency, direct supporting, or a personal services contractor, Obama wants his money back. Can you please tell me how I can find out if the company that wants me to work for them (no benefits, part time) fits into either one of these categories? This company is not on a government installation, but it does supply the government with its products. I would be working for a company that is contracted to this company for security.

A. According to the Office of Personnel Management, “An employee who receives a VSIP and later accepts employment for compensation with the Government of the United States within 5 years of the date of the separation on which the VSIP is based, including work under a personal services contract or other direct contract, must repay the entire amount of the VSIP to the agency that paid it — before the individual’s first day of reemployment.” It appears that the employment you are talking about is exempt from this requirement.

However, you could only find out for sure by having your future employer check with the agency or agencies it serves.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply