Special retirement supplement eligibility


Q. I am a CSRS Offset employee with 18 years of CSRS service, an 18-month break in service, then 13 years of FERS service. I have just reached my minimum retirement age (56). Am I entitled to the special retirement supplement if I retire now?

A. Because you have at least 30 years of service and have reached your MRA, when you retire, you’ll be entitled to the special retirement supplement. The SRS will be based solely on your years of FERS service and will continue to age 62, when you are eligible for a Social Security benefit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply